The father/son bond

With a three weeks remaining  of solo parenting gig I'm beginning to wonder what it is that makes may connection with my son so strong. He was born with the same hair as me and the eyes of my wife. At a month old it was totally the opposite. He shares my ridiculous sense of humour. He is honour bound to laugh at my silly antics, but the connection goes deeper.
Although he is five now and in school there were many nights, when he was first born that he spent asleep on my chest beneath the blanket. I have often thought that those precious moments sealed a bond between us that is like no other. But I may be wrong. Te cause could be more basic than that, more biological, more neurological.

Brian Mossop, from Scientific American states:
"Since there's no clear physical connection between a father and his child -at least not like the one seen with mom and baby- researchers are starting to look deep in the brain for better clues to understand the power of this relationship. A recent wave of studies are starting to bear fruit: We are now learning that in the first few days after birth, changes occur in the brains of both the dad and the baby, depending on whether the father is around or not. Perhaps neuro-scientists have finally cornered the elusive father-child bond, and found the biological hook that makes sure a father sticks around after birth."
Related links:
Questions arising about the teenage drink problem
Parents still control the future

No comments: